10/10/2006. Contributed by Jessica Martin
In celebration of the 40th anniversary of Star Trek, Christie's held an auction on October 5th-7th, 2006 of official Star Trek contents from the archives of CBS Paramount Television Studios.
Over 1000 lots from the archives of CBS Paramount Television will include material from all of the Star Trek television series and movies, encompassing costumes, props, weapons, set dressings, detailed models of the Enterprise and various alien ship and space stations.
Over the past 40 years, Star Trek in its various incarnations has had a monumental influence on pop culture, inspiring a global fan base to become one of the most popular franchises in television and movie history. First conceived by author Gene Roddenberry in the mid-1960's, Star Trek has spawned six television series and ten feature films, and has launched the careers of many of Hollywood's most respected actors and actresses. Today, it still captivates millions of fans around the globe and lives on in syndication and home video.
Cathy Elkies, Director of Special Collections at Christie's says, "Star Trek has been a cornerstone of American popular culture for forty years, and continues to impact generations of fans around the globe. Christie's is thrilled to bring this unprecedented collection to market and to partner with CBS Paramount Television in paying tribute to this seminal television and movie phenomenon."
The collection includes items representing each chapter of the Star Trek story, from the very first television series to the most recent Nemesis. The items for auction range from costumes and small props, to models, large-scale props and sets. Never has a collection of this scope and depth come to the auction market, nor will it ever again.
Auction Highlights include:
• The highlight among the set dressing pieces is a replica of Captain James Kirk's chair from the original television series made for the 1996 Deep Space Nine episode "Trials and Tribbleations" (estimate: $8,000-12,000)
• A replica of the Starship Enterprise bridge from the original television series, comprised of four console units, a doorway, and four control stations (estimate: $20,000-30,000)
Of over 60 special effects models, highlights include:
• Starship Enterprise-A miniature used in visual effects for Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country (estimate: $15,000-20,000)
• Romulan Warbird Ship used in several episodes Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (estimate: $8,000-12,000)
Costumes worn by all major original main characters: Spock, Captain Kirk, Scotty, and Uhura
• Starfleet uniform worn by Captain Kirk in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (estimate: $6,000- 8,000)
• Officer's uniform worn by Spock in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (estimate: $5,000-7,000)
• Starfleet jumpsuit worn by Uhura in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (estimate: $3,000-5,000)
• Mustard Starfleet mini-dress uniform worn in original series (estimate: $4,000-6,000) Costume highlights form the later generations of Star Trek include:
• Starfleet jumpsuit worn by Captain Picard (estimate: $8,000-12,000)
• Deanna Troi Starfleet mini-dress worn in pilot episode for The Next Generation, Encounter at Farpoint (estimate: $1,500-2,500)
Auction: 40 Years of Star Trek: The Collection October 5 - 7, 2006.
Add SFcrowsnest.com daily news updates to your own web site or blog - just cut and paste the code below...
Stephen Hunt's novels - USA